Thursday, August 27, 2009

Puzzles


If you follow this link [ http://shamptons.blogspot.com/2009/05/another-part-of-puzze.html ]to an earlier ost on shamptons you can see the farce that is reality v notions.

Today was the brats first day at after school care and given my previous conversations with the person in charge there - I was quite nervous. Yelling at hte kids to find Hannah's 'talking tags' - as I call the auslan pics she has attached to her waist on a keychain to help with communication at preschool. I thought it might allay the fears of hte after school care workers. It wasn't to be found anywhere - so I took them off to preschool all dressed up in their animal safari glory without it.

They looked gorgeous in their costumes. We passed lots of kids in animal outfits on their way tot he school and the opther preschoolers when we got there were very excited. Hannah was overwhelmed. Poor love - it broke my heart. Eventually I went and hid just outside the door as I know that sometimes hanging around feeling terrified for her just gives her an opportunity to avoid going along with the class. Anyways it worked although she was still abit upset she did go and line up with the others and hold Kit's hand. I was worried - this would just exhaust ehr and then she had her first after school care experience - and I really wanted her to make a good impression. (I know that sounds silly - but given everything we have been through this year in terms of getting people to see past her disability perhaps it isn't as crazy as it sounds now as I type it!). I felt sick. I didn't go to work. I worried all day. I cleaned up a bit and did a grocery shop, found her 'talking tag' and laminated some new pics just in case they might be useful next week and as soon as I could acceptably go there - I went to pick them up.

Well - they were on the other side of the school. Kit was sitting with an adult and a few other kids watching a lot of boys play football - he was taking it all in as he does. Cautiously assessing the situation and seeing who he could make friends with. Hannah was in the hall - dancing. The carer was very happy with how she'd gone and as I hoped a little girl (Olivia) had taken her under her wing - and had asked the carer if she could look after Hannah each week while she was there. She had a ball. I asked about the talking tag - they'd been lent the preschool teacher's copy - but no - no need for that I was told. Clearly Han had managed to take her queue from the other kids very successfully. I was very proud of her. I know she is looking forward to going again next week.

3 comments:

  1. Just thought I would pop over and see how things are going with the transition to school process etc. Sounds busy, agonising but rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are going to be lots of amazing teachers and support staff in the twins lives that will love them almost as much as you do. You are doing a great job Shelly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just popping over to say I answered your question on my blog. Thanks for asking it as it has helped many other parents I interact with on Twitter and Facebook :)

    ReplyDelete