Monday, August 10, 2009

Checked out

Well the principal visted the LDC centre today. WHo knows what she made of it but the carers there tell me that Han was a 'model child' - I hope so. I have had that sick in the stomach feeling all day.

The ST's speech assessment came today - and based on it htere is some funding for Han - her receptive language has mild-moderate delay but it is her expressive that causes the most concern - and hence word structure too - it is hard to demonstrate a good understanding of tense when you still leave off end sounds etc.

Tomorrow I will go to see the school counsellor at the other school - I'd like to understand a bit better how they would be able to meet Han's individual needs - eg using visual aids in class, facilitating some social skills and peer interactions etc, and what the speech funding might actually mean in practical terms. At the bare minimum I am hoping that whichever school we end up at - they will make good use of a communication book for us - especially as Han has speech delay and I don't want to have to grill Kit about what his sister did at school that day. It will also help me work on similar things as they are doing at school. I am sure that I'll feel tense about tomorrow's meeting beforehand but this school is so pragmatic and welcoming of Han that I also feel positive about the meeting. DH reminded me just before of how when we went tothe open day and the principal didn't know us - and I asked about speical needs - she really shifted focus on what she was saying tothe whole group and ade it clear that they had special needs kids there 'but you wouldn't notice' and then talked about how they are accepted and assisted in the school. She didn't have to do that - it wasn't in the marketing spiel she was delivering - but she obviously has a genuine and inclusive attitude - now if only they didn't teach 'we're in the army now' to the kids on the recorder!!

No comments:

Post a Comment