Monday, August 24, 2009

Decided - I think!


We have let the old school of choice know our decision. It is still our preferred option. They are very blunt about how inclusion will look for Hannah. The principal mentioned her concerns and some of the other negatives too. We talked about strategies to help Hannah in that setting. Then we went away and drew up a comparative table of pros and cons. 1 school had 7 pros the other 9. Both had 5 'cons' - one of which was 'recorders' which are taught at both schools. So not that much between them really - 2 good schools.

Negatives and positives
2 classes in open plan setting - 58 kids, 2 teachers
Hannah's speech is very unclear, she is less 'mature' than her peers in that she parallel plays (unless she is at home). We also discussed her reaching the toilet seat - will need a step in the kindy toilet. They were pleased to hear that her stability when walking is getting better all the time as there are steps down to the playground. Eating isn't a problem as we have sorted out containers that she can open for herself. There are other kids with 'special' needs in the class (including language delay and some social/agro issues) - this was presented as a negative in that this would further reduce the teachers' time available for individually helping Hannah - yet for us it was also a positive - teachers might be able to share strategies with these kids that also work with Han and she might not stand out so much as she could if she was the 'only one' the 'sore thumb' in the class with additional needs. The other positives came from the organisation's supporting officer who seemed very professional and supportive (of the principal and inclusion). Forseeable situations were stated and strategies to deal with them were discussed - like keeping Han on task in a whole class activity - eg when the teacher is reading from a book or presenting to the whole class in a group on the floor - how to stop Han losing interest and wandering off around the room. Her speech is very unclear - how to best support her communication? I will be asking her EI and her private ST for recomendations on this but basically some sort of visuals - maybe pecs or something? As well as that I will be able to help out one morning a week as part of the parent volunteer program - something I'd like to be able to do regardless of Hannah's additional needs. Hannah will also automatically have an IEP drawn up (this is not automatic int he government system for kids with 'mild intellectual disabilities' although I am sure I could request one and I definitely would! It also means that each 6 months there will be a meeting to discuss how the goals set are going - I hope that process works for us and not against us - I have heard where it can be used to 'move a student on' if the school feels it isn't working - yet I also know that that isn't the philosphy behind them and I can't deal with the school always expecting the negative. We need to build a relationship together for the sake of the twins. I did ask for a communication book - as I don't want ot have to ask Kit what hannah did at school that day (The Dan Drinker Diaries really showed me how useful one could be) - and the principal was happy for that - so long as it doesn't prove burdensone for the teachers - she even suggested considering email - which would suit me (I use it myslef as a teacher too and prefer it). They also have a social skills program that explicitly teaches the kids these skills - each week.

Then there are the other considerations which are not essential but are nice nevertheless - it follows the religious beliefs and ethos that I support. The twins will have an education where religion isn't 'compartmentalised' as such but pervades through things easily. It is very close to their grandparents house - and they will be able to continue to be involved in the daily life of the brats. My MIL is very active in that parish and may even help out at the school too if she still has that inability to sit still that she has had ever since I have got to know her! She is a former primary school teacher and was a principal before she retired.

Added in as a bit of insurance is my own return to tertiary study - in special education. I think we are doing everything we can to make this work - but still like everything until we actually get there and see the dynamics of the group - there is no guarantee. I hope that there is some little group of girls - or just one girl - who will form a special attachment to Hannah - that would be magic.

We took Han's special ed teacher from EI with us - it was good to see the princiapl so open to her suggestions. It was good for us to have a 'supporter' there with us and a more neutral participant - her impression was that the principal was being very realistic in her expectations. She too saw the number of kids as a difficulty as Hannah may well end up 'lost' in the crowd.

The letter outlining their terms of acceptance hasn't arrived yet though - so who knows - I may change my mind again before the year is out! And so provided I don't do that just yet - it is now time to start looking at 'checklists' in preparing Hannah for school - mmmm - what to consider first?

3 comments:

  1. The double class would be playing on my mind a bit as well.
    I remember feeling that lost in the crowd feeling when I was at school, and in a double class. Wonder why some teachers insist on having them?
    We have no options here, think have said that already on your blog.. Just the one school, there is a 8yr old girl at school who has Ds, they pretty much have things sorted. Though who knows I know her mum, has told me she doesn’t’ get involved, she just lets school deal with it all. That wont be me lol
    Thanks for your blog again, helps me to know what to look for, make sure different things are in place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you have school friends links on the side of your blog. What kinds of things have you been doing with Hann at home. Have you blogged about these somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cathy
    I am not going to be able to 'leave it to the school' I'm afraid - it just isn't me! That is one of hte key factors in making the school choice that we have!!lol. I haven't really blogged specifically about the EI type stuff we do - and I confess that for all my pushiness I am a bit haphazard in what I do - lots of incidental stuff and just normal family time rather than therapy although I do do some things. Generally these would be mentioned on my 'everything else' blog - the www.shamptons.blogspot.com linked a the bottom of Mainstream Musings - but now that I have pretty much settled on as chool I will start blogging here abotu some of the things I am trying to get Han 'school ready'.

    ReplyDelete