Monday, November 23, 2009

Planning the planning meeting

I got a call from the principal today - to try and set up a planning meeting for Han next week. She is keen to include her EI spec ed teacher - let's hope that we can all be there for it. The main issues I think we need to have a plan for are:
- communication (I will try and laminate afew key signs posters for the room) and bring the pecs folder I have been developing. I also will need to establish email (or an alternative) communication with the school - and also for the ST who I am hoping will be able to come into the school once a week to work with Hannah (from about half way through term 1).
- social - Han has great play skills (I see them when she plays at home with Kit - and she is fine with older children but she tends to lack confidence with her peers. She will need some specific opportunities to interact with them and in particular to flow on class group activities to the playground. I think this needs to be a priority cos 'patterns' establish for all thekids pretty early in terms of who is their friend and who they play with at lunch and recess - I don't want Hannah to miss out.
- motor skills - Hannah may need adjusted scissors to be available. I also need to know any other skills in this are athat I can work on over the long Christmas break.
Hannah's gross motor aren't up to her peers but she does manage pretty well. We could help improve her ball skills but i'm not sure what else?
- literacy - Han loves 'reading' and can recognise her name as well as everyone elses in the family. She also recognises some other simple ones like I and can and like. We use the same phonics programme and Han can say and recognise quite a good number of them. From a speech point of view she can imitate or sound out the ones a typically developing 3 year old can.
- numeracy - Han LOVES counting. She needs to be reminded to slow down. We are refining her 1-10 - she knows it but needs massed practice to be able to use her knowledge quickly and 'automatically'.
- self help - Han is great on this. Fully toilet trained, self sufficient with food and follows routine well and is able to follow 2 step directions pretty well.

I'll have to give some thought as to what resources I have that may be helpful for her teachers - I don't want to just 'dump' stuff on them but if I have material that might help I want to share.

Not sure whether they want to cover my involvement in the class at this meeting or leave it to whent hey address it with all the other parents as they recruit volunteers from all the parents. I can't think of anything else that we'll need to cover - I'll try ad remeber to take notes so I can refer back to what we discuss and agreed upon.

I'm looking forward to a practical and caring, realistic approach - fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. They usually have grade objectives at the beginning and end of the year.

    Also there are general skills lists. There is one on Communicating Partners which is normed on American kids.

    The Key Signs will be great! Children just love to talk with their hands as well as their mouths.

    ReplyDelete