Friday, November 6, 2009


Kindy orientation at our preferred school went better than I had hoped. It was great. We were greeted by some students. Teachers came up and chatted to us. There was a welcoming feel and I don't think any parent could have felt 'lost' in the corwd - it was very well organised and although catholic schools do tend to have larger class sizes - they had split the new kindys into 2 groups over 2 days so the children could bbe individually observed more effectively.

The principal spoke to the new parents about school stuff - everyday organisational issues as well as providing an overview of the various programs available and the curriculum followed. As she spoke mentioning withdrawing kids for different things - I though of Hannah and her private ST sessions.

Last visit our ST gave us a standard letter - just getting us to think about what we may need from her as Hannah prepares for school and then next year - as starting kindy is very tiring. I don't know that she is that keen on withdrawing kids but given han's speech needs I think that it might just be a great way to continue the intensive sort of therapy that Han needs until she settles in and has greater energy for the arduous school day. I mentioned it to both the kindy teacher and the principal and both were keen for me to organise that - so I'll certainly discuss it with our ST at her next session. I also hope that just as I learn by observing Han in speech - so might her school teachers informally gain a little professional training - not that I am expecting them to do a lot of specific follow up on speech therapy - but they might be able to adapt some of the strategies in the classroom.

I showed them the homemade folder of pics we use (pecs) and they were keen to have a copy - I stil want them to let me know of ones that are particuarly useful to them - but I loved the enthusiasm evident. I gave them a copy of our current ISFP goals, a hannah's profile - which detialed her strengths, supports I thought she'd need, my concerns, info about others who work with her, Contact agencies for help and Resources. I also gave a revamped letter - which is basically pitching how to explain DS to her peers plus some simple DS Myth/fact material.

There were a million different forms to fill in. I hate forms!! and with twins - it is the one aspect that is definitely 'double trouble'.

I liked the fact that at the end of the teachers observations 2 teachers aids and one of the kindy teachers approached me to talk about how Han had gone - and I really liked the fact that the kindy teacher mentioned how Kit had gone too - cos although I angst a lot more over Hannah in formal education - he is my baby and I want to know how he is too. he is a very bright little boy - quite advanced emotionally, verbally and socially amongst his peers. He already enjoys working out simple multiplication and division. He prepares powerpoints to help Han with ehr talking using clipart correctly. He's going to love school - I want him to be challenged appropriately.

Before we left we handed in our wad of forms and bought - the school bag and hat. Hannah was so excited she put hers on straight away.

2 comments:

  1. Wow.

    Larger classes = more friends (sometimes).

    What about the Get it Down 31 for 21 material, relevant to Australian kids and concerns? Those are some really good mythbusters.

    Isn't it great that Kit is so emotionally intelligent? And the clipart is awesome. Even adults I know don't know how to use clip art correctly!

    The school sounds very sensible over the withdrawals. Is it things like doctor and dentist appointments or extra lessons, like music and sport?

    If the teachers do get to listen in they might learn a lot for their other kids too.

    ReplyDelete