Tuesday, May 31, 2011

projects

The class teacher has been absent for the last two days - and I am rather happy with the little I have seen of the substitute teacher. I don't recognise her from previous occasions - perhaps she is someone the principal knows? Anyhow I was impressed with the following small stories:

Tues - I discussed with Hannah that she could take her beyblade to school but they were NOT for int eh classroom - recess and lunch ONLY. I went up tot eh classroom to organise a couple of things with her bag then went into the classroom to let her know what I had done. She wasn't expecting me ... obviously. THe teacher was at the front of the room with the children sitting at her feet - except Hannah who was hidden in an opposite corner playing with her beyblade. I went in and took it off her. I reminded her of the rules we had discussed. Then I tried to get her to stand up and join her peers. She squatted and I was just trying to think through the quickest strategy to try and get her up there with the rest of the class when the teacher called her name and very ably diffused the situation. She said she needed a helper because she had a special job that she needed help with - well little brat was up at her side in a shot. And I left the room smiling.

Then I went and picked her up after school. She chatted about her day (her speaking is really improving!). Then as we were leaving we passed the principal. A quick word with him revealed that she had received a principals award sticker today - for completing a cloze passage on her own.

Today I help with a literacy program outside the classroom (I help kids from higher grades than Year 1). When I am done I usually pop my head in on Hannah and check to see if she needs to be taken to the toilet. Today when I went in she was sitting at her desk working away alongside her peers - on a slightly modified activity. The teacher had just been about to ask her to describe her work. I explained my presence there and the teacher then quickly showed me the work Hannah got a sticker for yesterday - and commented on what a good effort it had been. WOW. Now that is all it takes to make me happy... I am not wishing any harm on Hannah's regular teacher (cos Hannah loves her) but should she need more time off work... if they have this sub teacher again - well I would be very pleased.

Then because Hannah's ST is recovering from surgery I went and masqueraded as a speechie. Little brat did very well. I think she is having a great day.

I also had a chat with one of her aids - she was telling me what a great time Hannah had had on the school picnic the week previously - and how good the middle school buddy was with her. She also told me that she had been at a fundraiser with another school (a HS) - to raise money so a young girl with Down Syndrome in Thailand could go to school to be educated. It reminded me how very lucky Hannah is - even though sometimes it seems like we have chosen a hard road with this mainstreaming gig - I am so very glad that we get to make that choice. It is a basic human right and I hope and pray that we can improve things here so that we become leaders for others to follow - because there are children around the world with disabilities who deserve so much more than they are currently getting.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like Hannah has had an awesome week. Well done!

    ReplyDelete