Sunday, May 22, 2011

onwards

Things have been continuing to show signs of improvement. Last week we kept Hannah home on Monday as she was a little off colour. On wed at school I helped with multilit as I do and then because Hannah's ST has had to go for surgery unexpectedly I 'did' (or tried to) her speech session with her myself. It seemed a good way to maintain routine and to keep the focus on her speech a bit. The principal said it would be ok. I showed her aid how to record her voice saying encouraging things on a sightword app that I really like. Hannah tends to get 5 wrong first go compared with 10 correct first go - so I am working on that with her. I like the app because you can simplify it to a choice of 2- 4 or later when her accuracy rate improves I can change it to a choice of 6-8 (I think).
She also came home one day very proud of herself because she had obviously shown her teacher what was on the ipad - I think it is the first time that the teacher has actively looked at what educational apps are on it - so that was a huge leap forwards - one of our goals from our last meeting was to make the use of the ipad more focussed and educational rather than babysitting. I know they did this because Hannah came over and showed me where my murder mystery books were on it!

Then on the weekend I was at a party and one of the mums there was saying that she has had a meeting with the principal and has another this week - her son is in Hannah's class - with no 'special needs'. She said that the principal mentioned the need to reconfigure the room so that the teacher could set up activity stations and group work etc - this is the model that I prefer for the twins cos I think it provides better differentiation of work to suit the individual needs of the children (and child centred learning) rather than the ridiculous rows of desks that are in the room now - that sit at odds with every other kindy-year2 classroom int he school.
This week is the school athletics carnival and I am a bit nervous - last year's was such a blast - I wonder how Hannah will go this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment