Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Today's meeting went well. It took about 2 hours. I then had to do a mad dasht o get Hannah over the odther side of twon to the opthamologist - a feat we achieved (just) so I think maybe God was really on my side today. Must remember that in my prayers!

So - the meeting - present were Han's EI special Ed teacher, myself, the principal, the school's spec ed teacher and the 2 kindy teachers. The regional person who I have spoken with before and liked was not able to make it.

The EI and I outlined what Han is up to - her strengths as well as some of her weaker areas. The teachers asked questions. We set 5 goals for Hannah - things like - she will be able to write 'Han', recognise the symbols for 1-5, use visual supports in class setting, approach peers and play alongside them. I think there was 1 more -- ??? The principal took notes.

I had given the teachers a 'profile' of Hannah as well as a couple of other things (I hadn't wanted to appear too pushy- so just a couple of key things - including a 'letter' written in Han's voice that could be used to explain to her peers and their parents about her - plus a few 'myths' about DS - to answer some common questions that they may have). The Principal thinks it would be good to give a copy to the parents.

We discussed strategies for expaining to the other kids - I'll see what i can find and we might look at Victoria's Day Out. The spec ed teacher felt it was important to talk with all the staff about Han - the principal thought that perhaps myself and someone from EI could talk at a staff meeting next year.

We discussed expectations related to behaviour - eg attention span, sitting in group for extended periods of time - and discussed how to deal with difficulties that she may have with that - eg using an eggtimer to 'stretch' her but then allowing her to go and do a more favoured activity if she has been attending well for her 'limit'. I gave the school a copy of 'common makaton' signs for the classroom - as discussed with one of the kindy teachers at orientation.

How these things might impact on Kit was raised and also the issue of the playground - so the plan is to put out a few toys like dolls etc for the start of the year so she has something to 'do' also using the library was discussed which is a good option in the heat of Feb. I think. Agreement seemed to be that the computer (which she loves) could be used as a'reward' for Hannah. We spoke about what to do with her if she falls asleep (as I am sure she will do at some stage at the start) in the afternoon on the floor somewhere.

We also discussed resources - I have access to 2 good libraries - thorugh DSA NSW and the EI provider. I need to see if there is a way the teachers can use or find resources directly without having to rely on me. We ahve 'pencilled in' a meeting in Week 4 of Term 1 - with a view to organising 2 meetings a term to see how things are going.

My Actions:Make a 'pecs' folder and leave it at the school before end of term this year.
Find Victoria's Day and any others to leave for the teachers to have a look at (I have copies of these)by Term 1 2010
Make a booklet based on others about DS - that can be used as part of a lesson with the children. By Term 1 2010
Prepare what I might say to the staff at the school about Hannah - by term 1 2010.

Smile!! I was very impressed with everyone at the meeting - walked out totally agreeing with our EI teacher who said "I think you've made the right choice'. Yes I think so too. I know it won't be easy - but it is possible and it might be fun!

As the meeting ended - I gave them my copy of Win-Win Advice for the Inclusive Classroom to read - I had stuck in a photo of Hannah in her school uniform - it made them smile. I hope they find it helpful and inspiring too.

3 comments:

  1. Love the picture of Han in her uniform!

    Will she and Kit be in the same class?

    Victoria's Day Out: looked at it on Amazon and it looks like a good story. A booklet of your own would be good too. And the letter in Hannah's voice ... terrific.

    What does Hannah like to do on the computer?

    Good to see the teachers take responsibility for their own professional development. I notice you already have access to cool resources like Teacher Space ... the reference to the Schools Spectaular is awesome.

    The Schools Specatcular (30.11.2009)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photo of Hannah! You have some great resources, and sounds like there is some good communication going on with the school.

    PS I had a go a answering your curly question on my blog today :) Hope it is helpful. I also have easy to print articles based on my blog theme that I send out to subscribers of my main website (http://www.learn2bebuddies.com.au) if you find that is an easier/safer way to share info. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's some really wonderful stuff.

    And your question would have helped a lot of parents.

    And teachers who are probably not very Net-savvy.

    Think what it was before the Net. You would get a folder or a portfolio, full of newspaper or magazine articles.

    Love the idea of graphic organisers too.

    Hopefully the NSW Education Department has some material, and Ning can be really terrific with plans.

    "Printables" are really useful, as well as presentations. With presentations on the screen, teachers can do their own thinking.

    ReplyDelete