Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Progress

Well it seems an amazing relief but I think I can see definite progress being made from a few weeks ago. I think it is due to the good will at Hannah's school and to the efforts of a bunch of teachers there too.

So what is 'progress'?

I have my communication book - and it has come in handy already - if I see Hannah come home in one of the old faded 'spare' uniforms it usually means she has wet her pants - not a good thing. When it happened last week - I checked the book - to find out that one of her best friends had accidentally spilled chocolate milk all over her!! (when I went to put the uniform in the was - my he really did - it was everywhere!). I also got to use it to let the teacher know that Hannah wold be away later in the week for an opthamologist appointment - something I think is good for the school to know so they can anticipate using the aid time elsewhere.

When I went into the classroom yesterday - Hannah was in the resource room. I want greater inclusion - however the teacher let me know that they had had difficulty getting Hannah to sit in her place - so they had taken her there for some quiet work. I let her know that that was fine - after all - we can only try. It is the trying that I want to see - because there will be days (increasing in frequency I hope) where Hannah just goes and sits at her desk with the other kids from the get-go.

I went and did my reading groups (they are a delicious bunch of kids). When I was done I returned to the classroom - Hannah was sitting in her seat next to her best friend (of the chocolate milk fame) and another bright little girl - who told me with pride that she 'helps' Hannah with her words and sounds. So yes another recommendation put into action.

In our meeting with the teacher and acting principal - they had just had a meeting with the regional support person and the spec ed teacher of the school - and had clarified aid times - something the teacher really wanted - so now I have a copy and I know when Hannah will have additional help in the busy school day.

Meanwhile Hannah is excited to go to school. Yesterday she was all gee-ed up to give her teacher a present - a plastic watch she got in a lollybag at a party this weekend. She clearly has developed a more confident relationship with the teacher - and while I think they still have a ways to go on their journey together (she still needs to be careful not to underestimate little brat). I feel that they have crossed a milestone - and from here it is (hopefully) onwards and upwards. We hear about the new principal this week too - let's hope they are on the same page!

Today she is home with me - because of the opthamology appointment - and 2 of her friends were genuinely disappointed that she wouldn't be at school today. Lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment