Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Downtime

Well glitches are being exposed in this journey now - I have had a chance to get into Hannah's classroom a few times now - just briefly each go. What I see is a little girl doing whatever she wants mostly watching movies on her ipad. Her teacher feels that when there isn't someone else in the room to help or withdraw Hannah that she just can't do the work. Not good enough for me - I have been stressing about it all day and night. Hence the early morning post - I wish I cold go in today but unfortunately I have to work myself and tomorrow I may have to miss work as Hannah has an ear infection - again - the other ear this time...

So my plan and hopes - the teacher is approachable and reasonably flexible.

Hannah to leave her school bag outside the room - like all the other kids (I have NO idea why she doesn't do that now!!) She puts the ipad on the teachers desk first thing in the morning and only gets to go get it as a reward after some independent work. (and yes her father will be taking the movies off it - she has an ipod touch for fun and the movies will go to it).

Hannah needs a dedicated desk (they are in long rows facing the whiteboard) - second from the end FRONT row - slope board and pencils there ready to go. I will take in a pencil case for her to put her 'fat' pencils in.

Hannah needs to be expected to sit with her peers and try and focus on teacher direct instruction. Her teacher is engaging and vivacious so I can't see why this won't happen if the expectation is there.

Hannah needs to attempt some aspect of the work EG: copying out a phrase or a word from the text being studied. Then drawing pictures to go with it. I don't think it matters if there are some errors - the teacher can correct them with red pen the same as she would the other kids - it is the trying that counts in this instance - and if the chosen words are quite simple to copy she can do this already at home). The drawing will be a bit scribbly - a great chance (sometimes) to get Hannah to use her words in describing it. Hannah could also use the prompts and models of her peers - I'll be lobbying for a social brightspark I know to sit next to her regularly - C finishes her work quickly and efficiently - in fact she can get bored too easily so this may keep her engaged for longer.

Once Hannah has a had a fair go at attempting the work - and this may be only 10 minutes at the start. She can go to her giant tub of resources - and get something appropriate out or a worksheet may be ready for her - a simple worksheet with lots of tracing so that she can do it unassisted or a picture book to 'read' etc.

Then if she has been working well perhaps a game or play on the ipad.

That takes her to recess - she seems to get some extra help between recess and lunch for varying times - so maybe some computer play as a reward after this intensive session. Mathletics might be a good start. She can independently occupy herself on Daniel Cook too...

After lunch she'll be buggered - no doubt easier activities are organised for the others - get Hannah involved with a group - the kids can baby her/mother her through the activities whatever they may be. Friday afternoon craft - let her rip!!

I don't think that sounds impossible. It isn't enough to just get her working when help is available - she needs to learn to work independently (and I know she can do this!). There just isn't sufficient funding support for her - and I can't see that changing - more creativity and responsibility needs to be taken. Wish me luck - I am hoping to raise some of these things with her teacher next Tuesday at the latest - and just to be a pest I am going to 'forget' the ipad for the rest of this week...

I should also mention the positives here - Hannah feels well and truly part of the Year 1 group. She likes going and wants to fit in. Her teacher is approachable. Still I feel a bit sick in the stomach --- I wish this was easier. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! Hope it is all resolved easier than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of "forgetting" the IPad.

    And the social bright spark sitting next to her. Especially if C is not being challenged by the current work that she is doing.

    That sentence was a bit ambigious: Hannah can't do the work or the teacher can't do the work?

    I've seen this problem in Montessori schools, (especially with Practical Life). At least with Montessori there is letting the materials teach you (and they have great IPad applications which non-Montessorians envy!)

    And a lot of people find it hard to focus on teacher-direct instruction. A lot of literacy goals I am reading seem to say "I will not get into trouble for not listening".

    Daniel Cook looks like fun!

    He has lots of adventures and is very developmentally appropriate.

    (Having seen some of the ABC Kids work this year, I wouldn't blame Hannah ... or her mates ...)

    (And the current school system doesn't encourage a lot of independent work ... or thinking).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelley you are inspiring ! You are right onto it all with Hannahs edcuation. Keep it up, keep persisting and keep "educating' the teacher.

    ReplyDelete