Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Mid term update


I think it is time to start taking stock of how things are going - I have a meeting with the key parties at the school in a couple of weeks to consider how things are progressing for Hannah in kindy. My impression is that they are going great - it is very clear that we (meaning Hannah, her family and the teachers/staff at school) have been working diligently to make this experience successful - and it is. I guess we need to review some of the 'nuts and bolts' of classroom organisation and her behaviour and her academic progress. I learnt a long time ago tha there is a 'cost' to mainstreaming her - it is a reality that I think I can live with - her teachers are so hardworking - I think it is important for them to feel successful in their efforts - Hannah is making so much progress (more than I had initially hoped for or expected) but she is obviously different and the gap between herself and her peers is generally going to widen - we need to have things set up to cope with that.

I have volunteered in the classroom which I loved doing - those kindy kids are just delightful - there is such a range of stages in there - I don't know how the teachers do it year after year - but I can clearly see their competence and dedication in there. I got a chance to chat with Hannah's aids too which was nice - I don't like to approach them about it as I feel they have a lot of things to do and a number of kids they look out for - but both briefly chatted to me about how Han is going - and while she still requires coaxing and bribery to stay focussed and get some tasks done it is clear that these wonderfully patient women can see progress. They can see that her comprehension and potential are pretty good.

As the school prayer says - 'so many hearts make a school' and I see that every day - in the staff, the parents and the other children. There is still such a long way to go but we are now well underway and there are many tings that are working well - for that I am very releived and glad.

The members journal with the fantastic cover focuses on education - I have asked for an extra copy so that I can give it to the school for the staff to see and read.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!

    Hannah gets to be a cover girl!

    Hopefully you can show the magazine to her mates.

    (I remember when disability magazines were photocopied and had no pictures on the cover, or inside, for that matter).

    ReplyDelete