Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Dance





We went to the school dance last week. It was very successful. the kids all enjoyed running around and playing with their friends in such an informal setting. The dance maestro was lots of fun too. I got to see the kids interact beautifully with Hannah and spoke with a number of teachers and other parents. It was a fun night.

Hannah's EI spec ed and our family 'coord' from our current support service visited the school and gave the kindy teacher lots of practical suggestions and activities to try for Hannah - to increase her motivation/concentrationa nd enhance her participation in groups. There was discussion about withdrawing ehr for some one on one but hte feeling from our support service is that it would be best to do so with a couple of her peers rather than one on one. I think that sounds ok as there are other kids there who would also benefit from some of the strategies that work for Hannah. Her kindy teacher as I have said before is fantastic and I know that she will do her best to implement the strategies discussed. Our family service coordinator also commented on how fantastically well Hannah had settled intot he school - how comfortable she is there and how lovely the other kids are towards her etc - things I knew but it is good ot have an objective observer make similar statements.
Hannah has been unwell - she had a febrile seizure yesterday and is still battling a nasty fever so she and I are home today - she is lying necxt to me but refusing to go to sleep the little bugger - she had a terrible night with fevers and phlegm...Kit is settling in too. I think he found it quite hard to be ina different class from Hannah especially as the rest of his 'reading group' are in her class as is a number of kids that he likes to play with. Poor darling is working hard at understanding what is going on. He got Star of the Week which he is proud of for 'always using nice/good words when talking about others' - now me - I know that hte star of the week can sometimes be used as a bit more of a motivator for a child that is struggling to do the right thing - I'll have to try and catch his kindy teacher to see how he is going I think. He and 2 others from his reading group will be reading a prayer of the faithful at the whole school mass soon - it makes me very proud of the little fellow - my baby has almost disappeared and in his place is this adorable young boy with barelya trace of babyhood in him... This morning as he went off to school by himself again he told me that he is a bit lonelly there without Hannah. Still he went - soemthing I know I'd have trouble getting her to do if their places were reversed.

1 comment:

  1. The Star of the Week has always had such politics to it!

    Some schools end up giving it to all the kids in each year, and sometimes the whole grade gets it for one week. Especially at the beginning and ends of the year.

    Anyway: the dance!

    Awesome!

    Kit gets a lot of practice speaking good words.

    ReplyDelete