Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Progress

I picked Hannah up at lunch time again yesterday. I had a brief chat with her teachers - one asked me if I had any particular thoughts on whether to keep the twins together or seperate them - I don't really as I think they would manage although obviously they'd prefer to be together - I just said that I was happy to leave it up to them and their judgement based on the group dynamics - she did comment on how proud Kit was of Hannah which is nice.

That teacher is great - last year preschool had a problem arise where Hannah would refuse to come inside after recess - so her EI spec ed teacher put some visuals on a keychain - the aim being for social type visuals like can I play, I need the toilet or a drink etc. I don't think they were ever used that much at preschool because she was able to understand most instructions given. The kindy teacher has been really using them which is fantastic - in a busy classroom where there is lots of activity and noise it is really useful to develop skills in using the visuals - it will also, hopefully, exand to include the pecs folder I gave them - so that they can more accurately assess Hannah's learning and understanding. Anyhow the teacher was telling me how useful she finds it - and so I asked if there were any visuals not there that she would like - she was quick to say 'sit on floor' - she had looked and it wasn't in the ones I'd given them - so last night I hit Google and printed off the visual for sit on floor and hold hands.

This was a timely discussion as I had my first planning meeting with the school aged support service we are going to use. Mostly our family priorities are around accessing support and resources to assist Hannah settle into kindy and participate there independently. One of the things we'd talked about was how I was pleased to see that they were using her keychain visuals - and we then discussed asking them if there were other visuals that they felt they needed - so how good was that that that very afternoon - the teacher is ready with a request? I also took the opportunity to mention that when we start up a communication book - that is the sort of thing they could just include in a note - and if I can get it - I will!

Going back to my chat with the kindy teacher - they had played a game in the morning - the kids had to go stand on particular sounds/letters - they use the Ants in the Apple which is what Hannahs EI had used too - and I better quote cos it may not happen again: "Hannah was better than some of the others. She did very well" [happy dance!!] - the letters were a m i f t and s - they will move on to blends soon and that may prove more of a challenge for Hannah - but I was pleased because the teachers are clearly looking at what the cildren can do and I like them to see that Hannah has some strengths in this area.

Then after chatting to a little bevvy of kids (they are so cute the way they flock to an adult who looks like chatting to them - like seagulls around a hot chip!!) I said to Hannah - "It's time to go - you better say good bye to your friends" and off she went - she walked up to a few kids and waved and said 'bye' - they looked a bit confused and weren't overly responsive - I guess they were wondering why she was heading out partway through lunch. She is there all day today - let's see how she goes...

Oh and at the pickup in the afternoon - I saw and was chatting to one of the volunteers from Hannah's swimming club - it is a club for children with disabilities that Hannah just LOVES. This lady is lovely (naturally - I have a HUGE amount of respect for these vollies who give up their saturday afternoons). She also has a dance studio just around the corner from us - so I told her when she feels ready for a group around hannah's age - we'll be there - with bells on.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for vollies.

    And it's good to see Hannah has strengths in the letters. You've been working HARD with her in this area.

    Great to see the communication book. In many ways it trains the children and parents to use a diary and organise stuff.

    And it doesn't have the stigma of notes from the teacher or principal.

    Ants in the Apple sounds like a good text.

    ReplyDelete