Monday, June 15, 2009

The View from the Back of the Queue

I took the brats swimming today - they are both in reg classes and loving it. Han has a ball but is going to be in the basic class for quite some time I think. I was chatting with one of the Mums there - her daughter attends the same childcare as the twins. She had applied to enrol her daughter at 3 of the local catholic schools. Anyways - she has been accepted into 2 of them - one the very nice, little bit fancy, very old fashioned one that serves my parish - with a rather terrible old crank of a parish priest and the other one which is the only one I applied to - our school of choice. It made me sad to think - that with her lovely blue eyed blonde haired 'normal' daughter - she has choices. She doesn't have to wait to hear if her daughter is going to be accepted. That is what it feels like I have to do. If I just had Kit - I'd be in her shoes - or if I had 2 'regular' twins. Instead I won't hear whether we have been accepted for at least another few weeks, probably longer. The view from the back of the queue is not that great - watching others amble on in while I have to wait to see if my daughter will 'pass' the test. They've seen her. They know the result of her IQ assessment. Still we must wait anxiously - it isn't fair. She has just as much right as this other little girl to be readily accepted. I wish she was.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shelly,
    It is perfectly okay to feel 'cheesed off' about having to wait and feeling like your choices have been restricted. It's good to express it out loud too.
    I hope that the waiting leads you to a teacher that is passionate about giving your little girl lots of opportunities and choices based on who she is and not the label she has given to her, in spite of our stupid funding system. Hang in there because there are lots of good teachers and great experinces in store for Hannah.
    Do you mind if I add you to my parent blogroll? I would really like to check in and follow your journey into mainstream.
    Sue :)

    ReplyDelete