Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Inclusive Classrooms

I love this post  - now to transfer these same principles into the High School classroom - it can be done!
Inclusion begins with....

One of my challenges is that as a part time teacher I am at the bottom of the pecking order for classroom allocations - and rooming is tight - so my class of year 7's transitioning into the big world of HS is in a different room every lesson. Such a silly thing - but it really helps disrupt the students' learning. Every lesson has a different 'feel' and it isn't because of my teaching or the boys personality - it's the lottery of room and who ends up sitting where and with whome - and the constant unpredicability of it all.

Expecting and welcoming each student - having a place for everyone - now that is doable. It builds trust and achieves lots. Meeting the students half way helps build successful relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment