Thursday, June 16, 2011

Meetings and Sadness

Well we had our meeting today - principal, Spec ed teacher, both aids, class teacher and regional officer.... and upon reflection what bothers me most is that there wasn't an enthusiasm there for how to help teach a remarkable little girl...

The teacher's body language was pretty passive/aggressive. When I asked if Hannah's compliance had improved this year at all - the answer was pretty much 'no'. Unless there is one on one support it's a no go - and even then her preference seems to be in withdrawing Hannah. I see NO self reflection on how she can incorporate/manage her classroom to better facilitate inclusion... no recognition that Hannah is a fantastic little girl with SO MUCH that she can do...It breaks my heart if I dwell on it.

The regional officer seemed to resent the parents being there. I think she sees her role as supporting the school and not having much to do with the individual child/family. She had clearly sussed out somethings and all she said was that she would develop a behaviour management plan for Hannah around safety issues to be implemented next term. There was talk of her going up the classroom by herself at lunch today, hiding under a desk or stairwell...'safety' issues. How this plan was going to look was not clear so that I felt the need to state that whatever this 'plan' was that it needed to be positive - that is emphasising the desirable behaviour rather than listing all the no-go areas!! She seemed quite short in her reassurance that that would 'of course' be the case (like I was an idiot for doubting them - yet I sat in that meeting where the classroom teacher had NOTHING positive to say about my daughter).

The principal and the spec needs teacher and aids were the most enthusiastic but with the black cloud of the classroom teacher I was underwhelmed by their ability to stick up for my daughter. The teacher did not actually say anything much - except when I directly asked her if there had been an improvement inHannah's 'compliance' in class this year. She also suggested another IQ assessment be done (it's now been 2 years since the last one) Yes I gather she'd like to blame that on her inability to teach my daughter...yet again it is all Hannah's responsibility - NO evidence of self reflection at all. At least the principal was happy to read my cue of 'no' on that one and moved the meeting on...

So Phil and I got to make a couple of gibes (we were very understated - it was as I have said a subdued meeting):
The rows of desks are intimidating
Hannah engages in all sorts of outside activities and NONE say compliance is an issue
Do NOT underestimate her
She would benefit from structured group work
She wants to be seen like the other children - she realises if she is not being included as a peer by the teachers
She is a 'self starter' despite what that teacher says

The principal moved his chair closer to Phil and I early in the meeting - it really gave me the feel that he was on our team but that some of the other staff (namely the class teacher and perhaps the liaison officer) were not... disgusting really - how could any teacher worth their salt not at least try and experiment with ways to make their class work for all children?? AND then the *** has the audacity to again imply that in her class the work is now much harder and ALL the children can sit and do the work AND she has 24 (!!!!!!!!!!) children to cater for yadayadayada... it wouldn't be so bad if the implication wasn't that it was only Hannah wjo wasn't coping. I felt like letting her know - I'm not an idiot - I know other parents have been having 'chats' with the principal cos their child isn't doing so great - and I know that the parents are quite divided - and there are a whole bunch of us who think she is all talk and no action or responsibility for even trying to help our kids learn....

Anyhow that is enough vitriol. We are thinking of ringing the principal tomorrow just to say that we are upon reflection not very happy with what the next 6 months looks like holding for our daughter.... It may be time to start planning for better things next year...

3 comments:

  1. Oh Shelley I'm sitting here reading and totally feeling your frustration :( I wonder if your teacher may be related to another teacher I know :P the "all talk and no action or responsibility" I know ALL about. Why do these teachers make it so bloody hard for our kids? Why do they have such an issue with suggestions from parents ? Grrrrrr So they are going to develop some "strategies" hey ? Haha I used to HATE that word so much !!! It's like a secret code for "tell 'em we have some strategies in mind and that will shut them up " Those STRATEGIES never seem to be seen or heard of ever again !!!!! Yep, start thinking about next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Shelley, I'm really sorry to read this post, makes me feel really sad too. Hannah deserves so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be interested in the better plans you have for the future. Especially after the principal is talked to!

    It does seem like survival mode right now, for Hannah and the teacher.

    What the other children do to escape in mind and heart; Hannah does with her body. I would be careful before reading avoidance or escape. There is after all fight -> flee -> freeze. And these reactions are strong especially in childhood, though countered by nurturance and reason.

    Remember that compliance is "the inverse of stiffness"!

    A point: Positive Behavioural Support ... often isn't.

    Regional officers do have their hands tied, often. Unless they have a particular connection or something memorable.

    Would someone from Hannah's outside activities be able to come and show how great she is? (I remember the dancing teacher being supportive and decent. Rainbow Club is fantastic at inclusion).

    Often outside activities are recognised by schools. Someone might get an award for their basketball or contribution to the community. And there are other, less visible recognitions but every bit as valuable.

    And argh! Public liability!

    I'm glad the aides and the principal and the special education teacher did stick up for you and for Hannah.

    "Compliance" is so loaded. It is a word of care and not of education. And to think that she would bark and bite when it was said.

    Another teacher would have been really enthusiastic to talk about her plans and what is going on now.

    But this year you have this teacher...

    And there is no scientific research of evidence...(Mme Buckley would not be impressed).

    ReplyDelete