Thursday, January 13, 2011

Kindy in Review

Yesterday Hannah wanted her new school shoes to wear and then the uniform... when we told her that she was still on holidays I think she thought we were crazy - as if she didn't know that already! "Home school, Mum" - but she didn't want the photo taken the little brat.
Before we head off on the next leg of our journey through the world of formal education with Hannah I thought I'd reflect upon the year we had.

In 2009 I started this blog because I was so terrified and daunted by the process of entrusting my gorgeous girl to the 'system' of education in NSW. My regular blog had never seen such dark posts and it was starting to get me down so I decided to set up Mainstream Musings and keep the Shams for our happy family life. Little did I know that by the end of 2010 the two blogs would overlap, weft and weave as Hannah(and Kit's) school journey became part of our regular family life - not just the separate monster that had Phil and I waking up in coldsweats each night!

2009 involved an enormous amount of spade work. I visited schools - and those we ended up considering closely - I visited them more than once...I anxiously asked everyone I vaguely knew and even strangers on the street their opinions on some, any or all aspects of schooling in NSW. I put my daughter under the microscope to be poked at and prodded sometimes with delight but more often with scepticism but people in positions of power. Of course I was also very busy assessing and testing them too ... but I don't think they felt the pressure of it the way we did. We didn't hold the keys to the building after all. I clung to other mothers in similar situations. What on earth were we to do? How could we send our precious and vulnerable children off into the big bad regular world?

We had a number of grueling meetings with the school to plan for how things would operate for hannah. I gave over some resources including books about DS like Victoria's Day and a letter of introduction from Hannah to the rest of the school that I had drafted. Late in the year the ray of sunshine peeped through - and i mean incy wincy teensy bits of soft light shone...Hannah enjoyed the 2 transition days she attended (1 session for each of the 2 schools we had applied to). At the school where she now goes it was the first experience I had of the awesome love and care and professionalism that I have since learned is part and parcel of the place. At the end of the transition time the children are returned from spending time in the classrooms wit their future teachers to their parents who have been waiting anxiously in the hall. I was approached by at least 4 teachers (including teachers aids) to tell me how well Hannah had gone. School backpacks and hats were bought that same day. Just before the end of term I returned to an empty kindy classroom to take photoes to put together into a social story for Hannah. Then the uniforms from the local store and then the shoes... it was all becoming too real.

Jan 2010 was spent nervously talking about school, showing Hannah the video of the classroom photoes I had made and trying to get her to say her teacher's name clearly. Then I decided it might be best to get the principal's name right so we focussed on that one too....We also had a great time relaxing at home and by the beach with the sense that this was their last baby holiday - the next time it would be 'school holidays' another phase of the journey of our lives.

School began at 10am on the last day of the month. I was terrified but working very hard not to show it to the twins. All kitted out with uniforms, shiny shoes and backpacks on we posed them outside the front of our house for what we know will be an annual photo event for the remainder of their schooling. At the back of our minds was the knowledge that this could be the only one were we get to have both of them together, setting off side by side to the same school...we had no idea just what the future would hold for Hannah.
Nervously we all arrived at the gates of the school. There we were met by my MIL and FIL (who are well known in the parish - and who played the role of proud grandparents to perfection). I have a framed photo that my FIL took of the twins peering through the gates into the school ground and their father is standing behind them, you can see his protective stance and his eyes anxiously scanning the horizon. Then the long walk began. down the side path, p the stairs, along the corridor to the outside of the kindy room. They have a staggered start so there were already kids in there who had arrived earlier than the twins. A couple of teachers were outside to help us get organised. They showed us where to put the bags and told us to get out their morning tea and hat... I later came to know the lovely blonde woman who looked out for us that day - and she is a fantastic teacher - she got Hannah walking up stairs using alternate feet perfectly - without it being mentioned at all - or put in her IEP...
The we went into the classroom. My FIL there - after asking permission - to take photoes of the twins. The room was set up with play stations. The school had pulled out all stops and every hand was on deck including the principal to welcome and play with the newest recruits. I had not known what to expect. I knew that I could have been a blubbering mess, I expected to be sad. I had told Phil to make sure he had the day off so I had moral support with me. I guess that was my first surprise for the year - and a good omen to boot. The twins waved us goodbye cheerily eager to get on with the job of growing up - and so we left them and I didn't feel sad or anxious at all - I felt very calm and we went out to a local cafe for a lovely lunch together. When it was time to go get them I admit the butterflies were in my tummy but it was all roses and sunshine at the school with a tired bunch of happy kids and teachers who looked weary but who were still gently smiling. A great start to the twins formal education...
In the second week, our letter from Hannah went out to all the families in the school. The response was phenomenal. The principal told us she got fantastic feedback. I got fantastic feedback. We had given permission for people to talk about Hannah, to ask us questions - and with that gift - came responsibility. And they took it up in spades - everyone looks out for Hannah. Kids, teachers and other parents and no one seems to resent or mind doing it. The generosity of spirit has been awesome. That same week I spoke to all the staff about Hannah. It was hell but I'd do it again in a flash - I may have come across as psychomum but it meant that every teacher now knew who I was and who Hannah was and when I walk through the school building I am greeted by them all. Many stope and tell me what Hannah has been up to and they all look out for her They are a fantastic bunch of professionals.

The teachers spoke to the kindys about DS. They read Victoria's day - not just once but a few times in Term 1 and then they revisited it in Term 2. They sent the books up to year 1 because Year 1 share a playground with kindy. In class they got Kit to talk to the students about what it was like to have Hannah as his sister. There is a whole bunch of kids who went home and told their parents what having DS means.

I waited anxiously for a more reliable source of information on what Hannah was doing with her days. Half way through Term 1 the communication book began. It was the first thing I looked for each afternoon. The teacher didn't write in it every day - especially as by then I was helping in the kindy room one morning a week and upstairs helping the older kids with literacy another morning a week. At least twice a week for most of the year I got notes about what was happening and I let the teacher know relevant things as well.

In th second half of the year the focus on Hannah's literacy and numeracy became more obvious. Homework was sent home as well as worksheets more appropriate for Hannah. Together the teacher and I worked to consolidate her progress. Her teachers were very proud of her achievements. In term 4 when her Year 1 teacher spent some time int he kindy room observing and getting ready for her new load of students I could feel the frustration in the spec ed teachers voice as she told me that she tried to get Hannah to 'read' to her new teacher but that she didnt want to "and she knows that book so well, she can do it" or words to that effect.

In the latter part of the year, Hannah's friendships are like little seedlings having a growth spurt. The teacher entrusts different kids to play with Hannah, to help Hannah etc and it is working. In the playground at recess and lunch she plays with the other kids, sometimes she gets into trouble with them She starts to tell me about her 'best friend' (be still my beating heart!). I mention a video link I've just found My Friend Isabelle - they show it to the kids the same day. Our discussion of plans for 2011 begin in earnest. There is no question of Hannah repeating. The importance of those blossoming friendships is to be preserved. Strategies to transition her to Year 1 are workshopped. The news about funding and aid time is not good. We chat about what this might mean and how we might manage around it all. It isn't right but for now that is the way it is. We apply for an ipad - another tool that we might be able to use to help make the best success of Hannah's transition to Year 1.
In the last weeks of school the twins come home with Christmas cards and candy canes galore. On the last day nestled in Hannah's bag are some photoes printed off in b/w on plain paper. They show her with the first teacher she fell in love with surrounded by a small group of very special children. Her best friends. Hannah is cuddled and cuddling within the circle of teacher and peers. It is a beautiful happy image that I treasure and that Hannah will have in her heart forever. Then there are another 2 of Hannah with her arm around a smiling teacher - her Year 1 teacher. They both look happy albeit a little anxious about the year ahead. You can tell that this is their first photo together, they are just starting their journey with each other. This time though we know it is a little daunting we also know that we will be able to make it something great. We work on it all of us side by side with Hannah as our guide and it is fun, it is in fact quite magical to be part of...Happy New Year my precious twins...Year 1 we are ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment