Tuesday, November 30, 2010

swimming


the twins have started the school swim programme this week. It means that kindy go swimming every day for 2 weeks. They go first thing in the morning. Unfortunately the weather has been wet and miserable but they have been going and having fun. They also go on a Tues afternoon - with me - and this week I thought they may not want to go twice in the one day. I had reconciled myself to a nice lazy time at home for a change - but no - they were both keen to go again...

On Monday when the kindy kids lined up in their swimmers and towels there was lots of excitement and anticipation. One little fellow wore snorkelling goggles. He said to me "DOn't worry, if Hannah is drowning I'll save her. I am going to swim in these goggles - I can see everything!". I loved that he was looking out for Hannah - he isn't even one of her regular friends as far as I am aware.

Then today one of the Mum's came up and was chatting. Her son had reported to her "Mum, you know that Hannah is very good at swimming"! So there you have it - gorgeous boys and a pretty special little girl who is opening their eyes to the fact that she may not be able to do lots of the things that they can - but she can do lots of things that they don't expect her to be able to!!

At swimming on the Tues afternoon - my heart was in my mouth pretty much the whole time. She was so confident in the water - and silly in that tired way that some kids get. I was sure she was going to drown! I warned her teacher - joking that while she brought out the best int he naughty boys - they brought out the worst in her! ALthough I suspect that it was actually a whole bunch of kindy kids that had her jumping and diving and splashing about in such a crazy way! ANyways at the end of the session the instructor commented on how great she had been. There you have - two people watching the same event but with very different stories to report about what happened!

Have I mentioned how proud I am of little brat? The pool is outside and I am sure it is freezing but today Kit tells me he and his group of swimmers got to go into the inside pool where it was warm to try their hand at diving. So he is having fun too.

No comments:

Post a Comment