Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Prepping Up


Our meeting with the Year 1 Teacher who gets Hannah - is - tomorrow! I have seen this teacher around but unlike a few of the others I don't really know her. Anyhow today was my last day to help in the kindy room - and guess what - Mrs D was there - she was spending the day there to observe the students she will be getting next year - and of course Hannah in particular (and no doubt others of whom I am not privy to information about although I can guess!). She introduced herself - and boy - fantastic! I am SO impressed. Let's hope she wasn't having second thoughts by the end of the day...lol!
When she introduced herself she came across as down to earth, vivacious and accepting. Happy to make adjustments to accommodate Hannah. She mentioned all the good things she'd heard and observed about Hannah through the year. Reiterated what a great school it was for a student like Hannah and in particular how caring the other kids were towards her...yep - I think she is on my wavelength. I certainly agree with her on all of the above points anyhow.
Tomorrow's meeting includes the principal. Now don't get me wrong - I love that principal. She is a dedicated and insightful educator. But boy - she considers all the possible problems - so I know it won't necessarily be a 'positive' meeting - but it should be realistic and all about scaffolding and adjusting for Hannah in the context of her classroom. I'm looking forward to it actually.
I was chatting with the divine Ms L (her kindy teacher) and said how I didn't want Ms D to feel daunted about having Han - "you know what it's like" I said. And yes she agreed - she sure did. She then went on to say how it hadn't been that big a deal at all and how many of the things she learned and used with Hannah actually helped other kids int eh class...etc Yes Ms L is a hard act to follow - I think she is a fantastic teacher - and not just for Han but for Kit too.

Which reminds me - A mum from Han's dance class said that her daughter is going to the same school next year - in kindy - she noticed Hannah - right up the front in the song the kindys performed for the new kindy kids and their parents at orientation. We chatted a bit and of course I raved about the school as I do. Later in the conversation she mentioned how the principal in their interview had said that there were 4 'gifted' kids in the kindy group this year - and that this was more than they had expected... with a smile I thought to myself - wow - that includes my Kit - he is one of those 4. And yet in all the talk of how good the school was - a lot of it was about how well they were at meeting Hannah's needs - rather than in 'marketing'. I wonder if she mentioned Hannah and if so what was said? It was lovely to think that - boy that was me last year - anxiously listening for any opinion about the school I was choosing - and worrying about how on earth I was to manage nutritious lunches 5 days a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment