Thursday, January 14, 2010

Routine


Well we had a chaotic and very busy Christmas here. Hannah had a seizure a week or so beforehand which really scared me however the EEG was 'normal' and so slowly we are getting on with things. I still listen carefully when she is in the bath and while we were away I supervised all water related activities even more carefully than usual - she has 3 days of swimming lessons (30 minutes) coming up - and I will make sure I mention it to the coordinator.

After a hectic Christmas where all 'therapy' was incidental rather than timetabled we went away for a week with another family. Hannah ADORES their 2 children (13 and 11) and also played happily (and assertively!!) with one of their girlfriends who came down for a visit. DH took the twins for the rest of their school shoe requirements just before we went away. I took some therapy work away with us - with the new school term fast approaching I felt I needed to start the old 'routines' again. Hannah was compliant and enjoyed the few sessions we had - mostly focussing on speech (drills for dyspraxia as well as some phonics work) and a little bit of writing, getting her to say her name and address etc. Her drawings were really improving too - she did a great one of Ben 10 and the omnitrix where without prompting she gave him arms and legs as well as a pretty reasonable face.

Yesterday was our first day back home with their father back at work. We did grocery shopping ten han had her first ST session for the new year. She was a little scatty but not too bad considering she has ha d abit of a break. Today I think I'll try and focus on some OT stuff - I have some theraputty for her to use and she hasn't done cutting and pasting for a while so I might get onto some of that too - it is overcast today so not a great day for outside craft which I know they'd both like.

I have started to plan what I might say tot he teachers about han - it has only given me one sleepless night so far which I think is pretty good considering!! I have also enrolled in Uni - a bit disabppointed to realise that by applying for a postgrad certificate instead of masters that the pain of all that work and assessments is going to cost me more!! (UGH)I had thought it might be useful to get a piece of paper at the end of this year (for employment purposes - in case I look to find work in spec ed field) and as the courses are the same as for the masters I never considered tat the costs might differ - oh well - you live and learn I guess.

Key goals for the next 2 weeks:
try for 30 minutes sitdown work a day -
including theraputty; cutting; pasting; hand strength like tug o war etc
speech drills (Nuffield skills); Ants in the Apple - recognition of letters and sounds; regocnition of written number symbols 1- 10; Expressive language - name, address and school; writing of her name (tracing over master sheet given out by the school at kindy orientation).
As usual reading of books is a daily event not specifically included in this 30 minutes.
Greater time allowed for dressing self and putting on her own shoes etc.

I am sure there is more but these are my current priorities.

Her T & A is scheduled for the first full week of term - not best timing I know - I will try and find out how ling she may need to be off school for that too. At least she will have 3 days prior to 'settle in'. She is very excited about school and looking forward to it.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shelly,
    What course did you apply for?
    I've just finished a 2 year Diploma in ASD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, I am hoping to complete a postgrad certificate in Special Education (Learning Difficulties). I enrolled in a Masters of Spec Ed in 2007 but found it really hard to manage with everything else happening - although I did complete the year which is why if I cope this year and want to push on - it will be one more year before I get my masters. I really enjoyed it - especially the prac I did with Aspect (for EI course). Unfortunately where I work now has great flexible hours and I teach courses I enjoy but no opportnities for special ed as we are linked to Syd Uni. If I go back into a regular high school I'd love to do something with my special ed background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it all goes well for you Shelly. I waited until my kids were a bit older before I began to study again. I couldn't do the 'Super Mum ' thing. I got too tired just trying to juggle the work and mothering load and I didn't have to fit therapy and speech sessions in like you do!. I loved my course and the opportunity to network with other teachers that I other-wise wouldn't have met. All the 'book learning' in the world is not as valuable as the 'lived' experinces and knowledge that you would bring into your classroom. I hope that you eventually do go 'Special Ed ' because you would shine such a bright light into that arena.

    ReplyDelete