Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I know an anywhere but here school...

Yup - well I rang that school that my friend had the interveiw for. Boy! here's the two quotes I am still steaming about:
"integration is ideal when it is feasible" - not my emphasis - ain't that a can'o'worms??? and
"I just wanted you to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel after those 4 years" so - hmm - definitely not pro inclusion in kindy I guess.

What do I make of it? I was encouraged to come and have a look at the transition program. It is one that I know has a good reputation. How do I feel about her ringing the mag in response to my letter?

Well as my DH prophesied when I first told him - and how it surprised me given my friend's experience there - it's a marketing exercise. When I rang him rather cranky about it all this afternoon - he just repeated that. I know - it means nothing to me because that school wasn't on my radar anyway. I don't want a school with a great marketing plan I want one with a great philosophy. Still what about my friend and her little girl? They had long ago settled on this transition program being the bees knees - they just hadn't considered what on earth to do until then...
Me I wonder at the level of 'integration' mentioned as available in the program given that they are so resistent to it in kindy for goodness sake - we are talking kids who have a mild intellectual disability, and speech delay but they do talk, have great receptive language, can follow routines, stay on task, are toilet trained - what planet are these people on? What is the philsophy of education? I don't think it is for me - even if I could afford it.

My school of choice might be looking at me a bit nervously - but they aren't saying 'no' (yet) - they have a fundamental philosophy that I like and that I think/hope will work in our favour.

No comments:

Post a Comment