Monday, July 25, 2011

Homework

Yes she dressed herself - note the tie - perfect for going to 'work'. Here are the blocks that I am loving - I give Han the letters and she unjumbles them to spell the sight words she will need for the reading activity. It is working a treat at the moment.
Using the blocks to help complete a reader accurately.
Check out her drawing and her colouring in - I think it's very good!
Gluing the words from one of her readers into a logical sentence.
Lots of teddies for a great effort!
Hannah had some homework sent home by her spec ed teacher. Being the first week back I hadn't really done much reading work with her so on Sunday we sat down and did about 45 minutes of literacy and writing activities. I was so pleased with how she did. She read her level 2 reader well. I got her to spell out key words with the blocks first as that seems to really help. Sometimes if she is looking at the printed word and not sure all I do is point to the blocks and she gets it right. She drew a lovely house based upon the level 1 reader I had been doing with her - all in pencil and then she insisted on colouring it in. Her colouring was fantastic (I though) - she kept in the lines for most of the picture and then had a reasonable go at writing her name on it.

I love the ipad and at the moment there is an app called Teach Me Grade 1 which I particularly like for her because it has some numeracy and literacy. Each activity has a ? at the top so she can ask for help if needed for example if the activity is to write 1 she doesn't need help but for 5 she can touch the ? and a faint 5 appears for her to trace. Anyways while I love the technology it was also good to see her concentrate and work without any technology just pens and papers blocks and motivators. The motivators are counting teddies and each small task completed gets a bear.... I'll attach a pic above.

So I am still unhappy with her class teacher. I just don't think she has the interest or the passion I would like to see and that is needed to really make inclusive ed work. I can't do anything about that but keep meeting with the principal and voicing my concerns... but I am so glad that Hannah is still progressing very well given the circumstances.

2 comments:

  1. That's great, well done Hannah! Cute clothing choice and wonderful artistic skills. Love those blocks. Where did you get them Shelley?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sharon. Learning Ladder in Bowral posted them to me - and yes I think they are great.

    ReplyDelete