Monday, July 12, 2010

On a Break




Well we are all loving the holidays here. Of course I have failed to fulfil all my ambitious plans for going over sight words and numbers and speech and cutting etc with the twins. We have done a few things like that but not many. They are tired and really needed this break. Hannah has had an ear infection for the whole of the holidays so far - which just goes to show how run down she was/is. The brats got good Gym reports and hannah got a lovely music report too. I am not enrolling her there next term though. I haven't given up on her learning an instrument but I think we need to try another path for a while - so dance it is. She seems quite excited about it which is good. Today for example she dragged me out on the trampoline with her and broguht a tutued dancing dolly she has - she then insisted that the three of us 'dance' -so I think she is looking forward to it - which is what I wanted. A lot of that love for movement comes from her years at music - but learning an instrument that way isn't going to work for her - and relaly I can't see any way of us enrolling her there next year - hence we decided to move her now so she could settle into an alternative activity. In a year or so I am hoping (so long as she wants to) to find a small group or individual instrument tuition that suits her.
The holidays began with a kindy party - it was fantastic. Hannah had an ear infection so I let her lie low and play on her own inside for the beginning of the party but as I expected she couldn't resist coming out and joining in - she loves this group of kids - and the party was so full of pretty things and so well organised - tehre were heaps of great things to engage the children's attention. The parents and their family (sisters and grandparents I think?) were especially fantastic with hannah - treating her with respect but also looking out for her and making sure she had every opportunity to join in.
Tomorrow is another party - Hannah is the only girl invited apparently - but I don't think she'll mind.
I have also got my act together for another play opportunity. After every party Hannah always excitedly says "Hannh's party!". It seems mean to make her wait until Oct so I decided to kill the two birds with one stone. She wants a party and I want to help her develop closer friendship patterns with the other kindy kids. One of her favourite activities is to have a 'tea party' (often leaves, dirt and water!) so invites went out to 6 kids - 4 girls and 2 boys for a tea party. I chose the girls (in consultation with the twins of course!) because at each party I have watched Hannah and them interact for lengths of time easily and happily - especially trampolining - one of Hannah's other favourite activities. The two boys are to make sure poor old Kit dosn't feel like a shag on a rock - although it is hard to imagine him ever feeling like that!! The idea is for the kids to decorate cupcakes and otherwise just play - I thought I'd make sure the trampoline was ready - as well as some playdoh and the kids box of musical instruments (one of the girls has already been over for a play last school holidays where the children ended up performing a 'concert' for the adults). Once again I thought I'd put Hannah's gorgeous dollhouse out in the lounge area where it is easily accessible too. The rest is up to them - I hope it works and they have fun.
It was actually a little embarassing giving out the invites - so many of the children are friends with the twins but I want this to be about depth of friendships - I will have to make sure that we ask those other children to the twin's birthday party in October.
Kit also has his first Sibkidz activity this week - a craft and cooking mornign which I know he'll love - and hoepfully he can start ot get o know some other siblings like himself so that one day when he is older if need be - he won't feel like he is the only one with a sister with a disability. I am quite excited about it for him and he is viewing it very positively. "In my day we never had anything like that" and I think it would have been great - it may not only have provided myself and my sister some support but it may have helped us build a more positive relationship with our sister who has disabilities.

4 comments:

  1. I can't imagine Kit feeling like a shag on the rock either.

    And Hannah is one of the guys.

    The musical instruments and depth of friendships in general is good.

    Glad Kit enjoys the Sibkidz.

    Do Kit and Hannah know their aunts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Adelaide they do - my family are pretty close. However my sister with disabilities (is profoundly deaf with vision impairment) still struggles with feeling isolated within the family - even though she is a very loyal and family minded person. Her husband is also hearing impaired and their children are definitely 'codas' and are very familiar with deaf culture. The twins don't get to see their aunts in real life so much because they both live in Brisbane. My sister is thrilled with Hannah's love of signing - it would ahve been great for them to live nearer to each other as I am sure that my sister would have taught Hannah much more than I have been able to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been chilling these holidays too (as much as we can with builders around). It's been a very nice break and lucky for us we've had some phenomenal sunny weather so lots of trips out.
    Yay for dancing, I've enrolled Maia in dancing classes again this term. I think Hannah will really love it.
    The tea party is such a cool idea. Think I might have to steal that one (if you don't mind!)
    I like the sound of the Sibkidz activities. Hope Kit enjoys them too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.

    Great to hear about the aunts, both of them.

    (Yes, the isolation is not nice).

    CODAs are really great people, very often! It's good to know you have allies within the family.

    (Hope the aunt does teach Hannah more signing).

    ReplyDelete