Sunday, October 25, 2009

Pecs

After our interview with the primary school (which included the area school support coordinator and our EI special ed teacher) it was decided to investigate assisting Hannah's communication with a visual system. I spoke with her ST and we are now using pictures from PECS to help increase Hannah's utterance length and to encourage her to attempt more words - using the pictures to assist the listener understand just what word she is saying if her clarity is not adequate.

Today I am home with Kit who is sick -so I got the laminator out and put some thought into next week's kindy orientation. I have met the kindy teachers but haven't actually spoken to them specifically about Hannah. According to the letter - the kindy teachers take the children for 'activities' and the principal takes the parents - no doubt for a good 'talking to!"!!! lol.

So - Hannah has a keychain tag that she can put through the loophole of her jeans - she has it for preschool but I doubt that she uses it much - she can manage the communications on it without using the visuals or for some like 'Can I play' really needs an adult to help her use it with her peers - or it just wouldn't be used. Anyhow I think that it is a good idea and perhaps a new start in a kindy with some aid time might revive it - so I added a few visuals - My name is Hannah, sad, happy, tired, I like and I don't like. I hope it is enough to get her started at orientation.

I also did some more pics that might be useful like toilet routine, assembly, school bag, body bits, shapes, and a few others. They go in a homeade pecs book - I will wait and chat to the teachers though before I give that one to Hannah to use - it is more a tool for them to govern the use of but I must say that the sentence strip idea is really helping.

Time to put up some sightwords around the house too. After that I want to work on a Hannah Profile -a one page summary of just what she can do at the moment and any 'this works...' type of stuff so the teachers have an overview. I also have a letter explaining DS that I gave the preschool teacher with the view that if we felt it necessary it could be given to the parents too - it wasn't necessary - I think cos the kids were all a bit young. Still if she is going to be the only child in the school with DS I might revisit it and have a copy ready for the teachers - to use if need be. Any ideas on how to distribute such a letter if we do decide to use it?? It is basically an "I'm the same as you but learn some things more slowly ' type of letter and on the back were a few 'common myths' Q and A material I got from DSAssociation including what I think is a subtle lesson not to refer to her as a 'downs'. First some afternoon tea though.

1 comment: